|• PhD in Computational Media, UC Santa Cruz||2020|
|• MS in Computational Media, UC Santa Cruz||2018|
|• MA in Experimental Psychology, San Jose State University||2013|
|• Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Santa Clara University||2003|
|• Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy, Santa Clara University||2003|
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Anderson, B.R., & Smith, A.M. (2021). The Undergraduate Games Corpus: A Dataset for Machine Perception of Interactive Media. Presented at the 35th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence.
- Anderson, B.R., Karzmark, C., & Wardrip-Fruin, N. (2020). We Don’t Play As We Think, But We Think As We Play: Evidence for the Psychological Impact of In-game Actions. Presented at the 15th International Conference on the Foundations of Digital Games, Bugibba, Malta. (Exceptional Paper)
- Osborn, J., Dickinson, M., Anderson, B. R., Summerville, A., Denner, J., Torres, D., Wardrip-Fruin, N., & Mateas, M. (2019). Is Your Game Generator Working? Evaluating Gemini, a Purposeful Generator. Presented at the 15th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Digital Entertainment (AIIDE’19), Atlanta, GA.
- Anderson, B.R., & Smith, A.M. (2019). Understanding User Needs in Videogame Moment Retrieval. Presented at the 14th International Conference on the Foundations of Digital Games., San Luis Obispo, CA.
- Anderson, B.R., Karzmark, C., & Wardrip-Fruin, N. (2019). The Psychological Reality of Procedural Rhetoric. Presented at the 14th International Conference on the Foundations of Digital Games., San Luis Obispo, CA.
- Starr, C. R., Anderson, B.R., & Green, K. A. (2019). “I’m a Computer Scientist!”: Virtual Reality Experience Influences Stereotype Threat and STEM Motivation Among Undergraduate Women. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 28, 493–507 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10956-019-09781-z
- Davidenko, N., Cheong, Y., Waterman, A., Smith, J., Anderson, B., & Harmon, S. (2018). The influence of visual and vestibular orientation cues in a clock reading task. Consciousness and Cognition, 64, 196–206.
- Anderson, B. R., & Feist, G. J. (2017). Transformative science: a new index and the impact of non-funding, private funding, and public funding. Social Epistemology, 31(2), 130-151.
- Goodman, S.G., Seymour, T.L., & Anderson, B.R. (2016). Achieving the performance benefits of hands-on experience when using digital devices: A representational approach. Computers in Human Behavior, 59, 58-66.
- Anderson, B., Goldin, P. R., Kurita, K., & Gross, J. J. (2008). Self-representation in social anxiety disorder: Linguistic analysis of autobiographical narratives. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 46, 1119–1125.
- Starr, C. R., Anderson, B.R., & Green, K. A. (2018, July). “I’m a computer scientist!”: Virtual Reality Experience Reduces Stereotype Threat and Increases STEM Motivation Among Undergraduate Women via the Proteus Effect. Paper presented at the 4th Annual Gender & STEM Network Conference, Eugene, O.R.
- Starr, C. R., Anderson, B.R., & Green, K.A. (2017). Who we are in VR: Virtual reality experience enhances STEM motivation among women. Invited paper presented at the Media Preconference for the Society for the Study of Emerging Adulthood, Washington, D.C.
- Starr, C. R., Anderson, B.R., Walsh, A., & Leaper, C. (2017). “STEM just isn’t for me”: STEM stereotypes, identity, and motivation among a sample of Latina, European, and Asian American undergraduate women. Presented at the Society for the Study of Emerging Adulthood, Washington D.C
- Starr, C. R., Anderson, B.R., & Walsh, A. (2017). Playing video games vs. tweeting friends: The contribution of 4 different types of media on STEM motivation among emerging adults. Poster presented at the annual conference of the Jean Piaget Society. San Francisco, CA.
- Goodman, S., Seymour, T.L., & Anderson, B. (2015). Physical manipulatives provide spatial and arithmetic performance advantages in canonical education activities. Presented at 2015 Cognitive Science Society Annual Meeting, Pasadena, CA. July 24, 2015.
- Van Selst, M., Seropian, G., Prendez, J., Anderson, B., & Kraft, N. (2011). Dose-Dependent Cognitive Effects of Alcohol (II). Poster Presented at the 91st Annual Convention of the Western Psychological Association, Los Angeles, CA.
- Van Selst, M., Prendez, J., Seropian, G., Anderson, B., & Kraft, N. (2010). Dose-Dependent Effects of Alcohol. Poster Presented at the 90th Annual Convention of the Western Psychological Association, Cancun, Mexico. -
- Orasanu, J., Fischer, U., Parke, B., Kraft, N., McDonnell, L., Anderson, B., & Miller, R. C. (2009, May). Communication and group diagramming methods reflect team cohesion and performance. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Psychological Science, San Francisco, CA.
- Anderson, B., Kurita, K., Goldin, P. (2007). Autobiographical Memory in Social Anxiety Disorder. Poster presented at the 27th Annual meeting of the the Anxiety Disorders Association of America, St.Louis, MO.
- Anderson, B., Contreras, T., Morse, K., & Verley, J. (2003, April) Stereotypes as Source Monitoring Cues: A Second Look. Poster presented at the Annual Western Psychology Conference for Undergraduate Research, Santa Clara, CA.
- Anderson, B., & Verley, J. (2003, March) Effects of a Church Environment and Strength of Religious Faith on Moral Reasoning. Poster presented at the Western Psychological Association Regional Conference, Vancouver, BC.
- Orasanu, J., Nesthus, T., Parke, B., Hobbs, A., Dulchinos, V., Kraft, N., McDonnell, L., Anderson, B., Tada, Y., Mallis, M. (2011, September). Work schedules and fatigue management strategies in air traffic control. Paper presented in panel at the 55th Annual Meeting of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, Las Vegas, NV.
- McDonnell, M., Mogford, R., Parke, B., Hobbs, A., Anderson, B., & Gupta, P. (2010). Simulation evaluation guidelines. Prepared for T. Craft and E. Sierra, AJT-6 and AJP-612, FAA, 800 Independence Avenue S. S., Washington, DC, 20591.
- Mogford, R., Parke, B., McDonnell, L., Gupta, P., Hobbs, A., & Anderson, B. (2010). Tower simulation system evaluation report. Prepared for T. Craft and E. Sierra, AJT-6 and AJP-612, FAA, 800 Independence Avenue S. S., Washington, DC, 20591.
- Kraft, N.O., Orasanu, J., Ormeno G.R., McDonnell, L.K., and Anderson B. (2009, May). Schedule-induced alertness decrements in flight crews. Paper presented at the International Congress of Aerospace Medical Association, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
- Orasanu, J., Fischer, U., Parke, B., McDonnell, L., Kraft, N., & Anderson, B. (2008, September). Alternative Techniques for Monitoring and Evaluating Team Cohesion. Report submitted to the Behavioral Health and Performance (BHP) Element of the Human Research Program (HRP), NASA, Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas.
- Parke, B., Orasanu, J., Anderson, B., & McDonnell, L. (2008, September). Tools for assessing team cohesion. Paper presented in panel at the 52nd Annual Meeting of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, New York, NY.
- Orasanu, J., Welch, R. B., Kraft, N., Cowings, P., Toscano, W., McDonnell, L., Derochers, C.,Anderson, B., Miller, R. C., Marshall, S., Davis, C., Weatherhead, J. (2008, Feb). Self-test tools for assessing astronaut readiness to perform. Annual Investigators’ Meeting of the NASA Human Research Program, League City, TX. (Partial data presented by S. Marshall at the SHFE Eye Movement Workshop, NASA Ames, April 24-25, 2008.
- 2013 Recipient of a NASA Group Achievement Award for Controller Alertness and Fatigue Monitoring Study
- 2013 Regent’s Fellowship, UC Santa Cruz
Teaching Assistant, UC Santa Cruz (2013-2020)
- Teaching support for courses in psychology, philosophy, and games and playable media.
Mentor, UC Santa Cruz Science Internship Program (2015-2019)
- Provided mentorship and research experience for high school student interns
- Student work resulted in presentations and papers submitted for publication
Human Factors Research Assistant, NASA Ames Research Center (2006-2012)
- Air Traffic Controller Fatigue and Alertness Management Study
- Tower Simulation System Evaluation Report
- Evaluation of Ambulatory Physiological Monitoring Device for First Responders
- NASA Team Adaptation and Coordination Training Program, Distributed Team Decision Making
- Training and Monitoring Space Teams for High Cohesion and Performance
Network Systems Consultant, Network Resource (2005-2006)
- Provided IT support for Knight Ridder, Palo Alto Daily News, Price Design
Instructor, Sylvan Learning Center (2004-2005)
- Tutored children (ages 6-13) in basic math through algebra.
- Taught SAT prep Math courses.
Psychophysiology Research Assistant, Stanford University (2003-2004)
- Emotion Regulation in Social Anxiety: Cognitive and Biological Mechanisms of Therapeutic Change
- Affective Chronometry, Autobiographical Memory and Social Anxiety, Emotional Suppression and Reappraisal
Founder, Padholsters (2003)
- Designed and sold holsters for the Nintendo Gameboy SP portable videogame system.
Electroencephalography Research Assistant, Santa Clara University Sleep Lab (2002-2003)
- Assisted in the creation of Santa Clara University’s first sleep lab.
- Helped develop a protocol for preparing participants using the EEG (electroencephalograph) cap
- Evaluated dream narratives for cognitive content.
Statistics Consultant, UC Santa Cruz Center for Statistics in the Social Sciences (2014-2016)
- Provided statistics consulting and tutoring services to UCSC graduate and undergraduate students.
Technology Docent, Burlingame Public Library (1998-2000)
- Wrote technology protocols for library staff and taught patrons (primarily seniors) basic computer skills including use of web browsers.
- Foundations of Video Game Design (Winter 2019, Summer 2019, Winter 2020)
- Fundamentals of Play (Spring 2017, Fall 2019)
- History of Digital Games (Winter 2017, Fall 2017, Fall 2020)
- Abnormal Psychology (Winter 2018, Spring 2018)
- Psychology of Religion (Fall 2016)
- Learning and Memory (Summer 2016)
- Research Methods in Psychology (Summer 2014, Winter 2015, Fall 2015, Spring 2016)
- Perception (Winter 2016)
- Introduction to Psychology (Summer 2015)
- Idols of Thought - Reasoning and Cognitive Biases (Spring 2015)
- Psychology and Law (Winter 2014)
- Psychology of Language (Fall 2013, Fall 2014)
- Mentor for SIP (Science Internship Program) High School Interns (Summers 2015-19)
- Statistics Consultant for UCSC CSASS (9/14-6/16)
- Math and SAT Instructor for Sylvan Learning Center (12/04-5/05)
- Technology Docent for Burlingame Public Library (9/98-6/00)
- Student Member of the Cognitive Science Society
- Associate Member of Sigma Xi, Scientific Research Society
- Member of the Honor Society Phi Kappa Phi